Foundations of Numeracy Support
Your upfront cost: $0
- 22 Feb 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in your mathematical skills and evaluate evidence of your own learning.
- Reflect on your current skills and knowledge in relation to numeracy support work.
- Articulate learners’ mathematical understanding and numeracy development, and discuss the consequences of this development in numeracy support work.
- Describe key concepts and essential knowledge with regard to numeracy support in Australian educational contexts.
- Mathematical beliefs and dispositions
- Knowing and doing mathematics
- Mathematical content knowledge
- Mental computation
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject introduces you to pedagogies appropriate for supporting the learning of mathematics in classrooms. The subject will provide opportunities for you to develop your personal numeracy skills and to identify where these skills can be applied in the context of education support. You will develop an understanding of appropriate pedagogies for individualising numeracy development, along with the theoretical underpinnings of how children learn mathematics. The subject will provide opportunities for you to deepen your own mathematical content knowledge, along with assessing children’s mathematical thinking using work samples and practical classroom examples.
- AT3: Numeracy support plan addressing issues identified in AT2 (40%)
- AT1: Personal Numeracy Skills and Beliefs Audit (20%)
- AT2: Numeracy Work Sample Analysis (%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.