English Writing: Grammar and Composition
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Feb 2023
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Proficiency in practical English grammar.
- Knowledge of the essential ways in which words are used to form sentences in English.
- Application of principles for drafting effective paragraphs and organising these according to generic conventions.
- Ability to draft copy across multiple modes.
- Formal and informal communication and self-reflection in informed discussion and a range of writing tasks.
- Refer to Mylo for study topics
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
English Writing introduces students to, and consolidates their knowledge of, the conventions of English grammar and composition. The subject focuses on fashioning the skills required of an academic writer. The subject covers:
• the processes and mechanics of academic writing;
• grammar, syntax, voice, punctuation, and usage; and
• sentence, paragraph, and essay structure.
- Writing Journal Portfolio (70%)
- Online Writing Workshop (Including Discussions) (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).