Effective Communication for Dementia Care
Your upfront cost: $0
- 13 Jul 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
On completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Describe contemporary communication theories.
- Discuss factors that affect communication for people living with dementia.
- Analyse and apply strategies to support communicating with people living with dementia, their family members, and others involved in their care.
- Communicate information in styles appropriate to an academic or otherwise specified audience.
- Apply principles of reflective practice to communicate with people living with dementia.
- Topics to be confirmed via LMS at the commencement of the study term
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This unit addresses the importance of communicating effectively and positively with people who have cognitive impairment and/or a diagnosis of dementia, and with those who provide support and care. You will learn about how the changes associated with dementia affect communication and how to incorporate theories and strategies to maximise effective communication. You will learn about the process of reflection and develop your reflective skills. You will develop knowledge about contextual (e.g. environmental and social) issues that affect communication in dementia care. You will learn to acknowledge the importance of all communication partners, including people living with dementia, family members, and others providing support and care.
- Reflection (30%)
- Presentation and Written Reflection (35%)
- Report (35%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.