Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 22 Feb 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this Unit the learner will be able to:
- Explain the major theoretical perspectives, principals, and ethical considerations which underlie counselling practice.
- Apply basic counselling microskills to a variety of counselling contexts.
- Describe how values, culture, and individual factors can influence counselling practice.
- Theories of counselling
- Basic communication skills
- Multicultural counselling
- Ethical and professional issues facing counsellors
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This 13-week online unit provides an overview of counselling concepts and skills. In this unit you will be introduced to theories of counselling and basic communication skills. In addition, you will examine multicultural counselling and the ethical and professional issues facing counsellors. This unit will provide you with knowledge and skills that are applicable to a number of workplace settings. Completion of this unit does not qualify you to practice counselling, however, it will provide you with a foundation for further study in this area.
- Fortnightly quizzes (6 at 10% each) (60%)
- Counselling skills critique (40%)
Current study term: 21 Feb 21 to 30 May 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.