Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Communicate mathematical ideas and information underpinned by the principles of academic integrity
- Critically evaluate numerical arguments
- Use mathematical techniques to solve problems
- Statistical Investigations
- Data Collection
- Summarising Data
- Drawing Conclusions and Statistical Inference
- Analysing and Evaluating Research
- Proportional Reasoning
- Algebraic Reasoning
- Critically Evaluating Numerical Arguments
- Financial Literacy – Using Excel and Word Equation Editor
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
In this subject you will develop the mathematical knowledge, skills, and confidence essential for further University study. In particular, you will explore and apply methods for:
- Gathering, presenting and analysing numerical information (data, graphs, statistics)
- Reasoning about relative proportions (ratios, scaling, percentages, fractions)
- Thinking about numbers and abstract patterns (algebraic reasoning)
The focus is on developing skills in these areas and using numerical reasoning to identify and analyse problems, draw and justify conclusions, and make sense of real-life situations.
- Tutorial Worksheets (45%%)
- Weekly Quiz: Multiple choice or Short Answer Quizzes (15%%)
- Short answer Assessment 1 (15%%)
- Short answer Assessment 2 (25%%)
Current study term: 11 Jul 21 to 17 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.