Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Analyse and prepare structural design for key structural members in a small-scale building using relevant Australian Standards.
- Assess ground conditions of a proposed construction site and select appropriate advice for design, including design of footings, earthworks and landslide and stability management.
- Summarise key concepts of geomechanics, site investigation processes, landslides and stability management, ground problems, footings, ground improvement and road pavements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the structural behaviour under load.
- Introduction and Load and Design Overview
- Wind Speed and Load Paths
- Beam Design
- Column Design
- Concrete Basics
- Soil Classification and Behaviour
- Footing Design
- Slope and Retaining Wall
- Road Pavements
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Develop your understanding of the structural design process and geotechnical concepts that will help you work effectively with engineers and other consultants.
The course includes two components: sub-structure and super-structure. The emphasis of the super-structure sessions is to familiarise you with analysis and design of structures. The sub-structure component includes basic geo-mechanics concepts, site investigation, retaining walls, slope instability, site issues related to footing design, ground improvement, and road pavement design.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a second-year course from UniSA Online’s Construction Management degrees. Please note: you are responsible for completing any relevant prerequisite courses before enrolling in this course.
- Project (60%)
- Project - 2700 words (40%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.