How do buildings bear weight? Study trigonometry, vector components and equations to determine design loads. Consider beams, truss, columns, frames and more. Form the skills to build on in Structures 2.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 18 Sep 2023
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
Explore UniSA courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Select and apply mathematical procedures to determine forces acting on structures and determine costs and use this to justify design decisions.
- Analyse and design physical structures and representations of structures to allow the calculation of support reactions, shear forces, bending moments and deflections.
- Describe, predict and think critically about the behaviour of simple and more complex (statically indeterminate) structures under load.
- Review, select and integrate relevant literature to determine and articulate the limitations and applications of structural concepts using professional conventions.
- Communicate structural concepts through mathematics, drawings, photographs, videos, written reports and verbal presentations.
- Structural engineering and loads
- Basic static analysis
- Reaction forces
- Truss analysis
- Truss design
- Truss member strain and bolted connection design
- Loads and load combinations
- Column design
- Beam design
- Course summary
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Examine the behaviour, analysis and design of structures under various loads.
This course forms a base for your structural design skills, which will be expanded in Structures 2.
Apply mathematical concept and procedures like trigonometry, vector components and equations to design basic structures and determine design loads. Take a hands-on approach to learning by constructing a model bridge, which will allow you to examine the effects of the location and magnitude of different forces.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Construction Management degree.
Should your course have an exam it will be scheduled for Australian Central Standard Time or Australian Central Daylight Time, depending on the time of the year.
- Project (65%)
- Test (35%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).