Professional Communication to Work in the Health Industry
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Describe key demographic, cultural and socioeconomic factors that underpin the diverse health issues and experiences in the community.
- Apply professional communication skills in a diverse range of health settings.
- Explore how personal and professional identity and communication processes influence wellbeing of self and others.
- Demonstrate well-developed and relevant non-verbal, oral and written communication skills required for developing health education materials in a range of media.
- Introduction to Professional Communication in Health
- Professional Identity in Health Communication
- Cultural Safety in Communication
- Factors Influencing Communication in Health
- Developing Health Education Materials
- Collaborative Communication with Consumers and Other Health Professionals
- Reporting and Documentation
- Communication in Challenging Situations
- Conflict Resolution Communication Strategies
- Technology in Communication, Data and Reporting
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This is a practical course for people working in health and community care. You’ll cover the essential elements of communication, including oral skills, written skills, and non-verbal communication. The learning activities are grounded in various types of scenarios and situations that you are likely to encounter while working in any health setting. Learn communication processes in diverse health settings and factors influencing communication in health care. Develop the skills to develop health education materials learn to effectively communicate in complex and difficult situations. You’ll also learn to develop your professional identity, which will put your in great stead for your future career.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a second-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Community Health degree. Please note: you are responsible for completing any relevant prerequisite courses before enrolling in this course.
- Essay - 2500 words (50%)
- Portfolio - 2000 words (50%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.