Mental Health, Dementia and Challenging Behaviours
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jun 2023
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain how dementia or mental illness can impact on a person's behaviour.
- Develop appropriate client goals and actions to support the practice of healthy activities.
- Employ strategies to maintain safety of self, family and clients.
- Mental health issues in older populations
- Depression in later life
- Dementia and its impact on the person
- Symptoms and behaviour support strategies for early stage dementia
- Middle stage dementia, strategies to reduce symptoms
- Strategies to identify and reduce changed behaviour
- Impact of environmental factors
- Supporting people in later stage of dementia
- Family engagement
- Palliative care
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Learn about the mental health challenges older people can experience and develop a deep understanding of how dementia affects a person’s behaviour. Understanding the cause of behavioural changes will enable you to choose appropriate strategies to support the person and their quality of life.
By the end of this course, you’ll have a solid understanding of dementia, mental health, and behaviour change. You’ll study behaviour activation including goal setting and developing action plans to reinforce the practice of healthy activities. You’ll also learn ways to manage family and clients.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a course from UniSA Online’s Aged Care programs. Please note: you are responsible for completing any relevant prerequisite courses before enrolling in this course.
Should your course have an exam it will be scheduled for Australian Central Standard Time or Australian Central Daylight Time, depending on the time of the year.
- Portfolio (50%)
- Case Study (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).