Mathematical Methods for Engineers 1
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
1. Apply vector methods to problems in two- and three-dimensional spaces.
2. Apply trigonometric functions; differentiate and integrate trigonometric, exponential, logarithmic and rational functions, and extend the results to engineering applications.
3. Sketch and graph functions, with emphasis on trigonometric functions.
4. Express curves describing movement in parametric form.
5. Investigate motion using appropriate computer software.
6. Find and interpret both definite and indefinite integrals.
7. Report on findings in both simple tasks and projects.
- Functions and basic graphing in MATLAB
- Derivatives and applications to physics
- Implicit differentiation and related rates
- Antiderivative and the Indefinite Integral
- Definite Integrals and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
- Logarithms, Exponentials, Limits, and Complex Numbers
- Differential Equations
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This course gives you the skills to use mathematical tools for modelling. We start by looking at the basics of modelling and then learn how differentiation and integration tools can be used for modelling engineering problems. During the course, you will also be introduced to the use of software (MATLAB) to assist in the modelling process.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a course from UniSA Online’s Associate Degree in Engineering.
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.