Introduction to Social Media
Put your social media presence under a magnifying glass. Use a critical mind to look at how frequently you use social platforms, and why. Begin to understand how social media is used in strategy by organisations the world over.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the extent and prevalence of social media usage in contemporary society analyse the emergence of digital communication, specifically social media, and consider the impact of a networked society on interpersonal communication and privacy.
- Identify the main social media platforms currently on offer, their user profiles and effectiveness.
- Demonstrate understanding of social media as a strategic communication tool within different industry sectors.
- Understand and analyse the link between social media usage, personal brand and reputation, and the use of social media for professional communication.
- Social media in contemporary society
- The networked society and its impact on interpersonal communication
- Personal branding, privacy and your social media presence
- Social media fails: reputation, outrage and public shaming
- Celebrity and social media
- Social media platforms: user profiles and effectiveness
- Social media as an organisational communication tool
- Social media case studies
- Industry case studies
- Analytics and metrics
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Discover how social media can be used as strategic communication tool. Learn how to enhance or create your professional online profile. This could be your LinkedIn profile, a blog or a business account using Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Building a strong and positive social media profile is vital to your career, regardless of your profession or industry.
Learn which platforms are most effective in delivering your message to your target audience. You will be encouraged to move beyond the role of social media user to critically evaluate your own social media usage and profile, and the impact this has on your own reputation.
As part of your assessments, you’ll also conduct an audit of an organisation’s social media activity and assess the tactics, strategies and effectiveness of each platform.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Communication degree
- Continuous Assessment (45%)
- Report (55%)