Introduction to Digital Media
Become a movie maker. Get confident preparing, shooting and editing videos. Learn the basics in Adobe Premiere Pro and iMovie. Cover sound production and copyright principles. See how Photoshop can help you add inspiring graphics.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role and function of design in film, video and digital media forms.
- Competently use graphics, camera, sound and interactive media to create media pieces using a range of software.
- Understand and undertake all the stages of the design process from conceptualisation to creation.
- Clearly and coherently structure graphic and other visual content within and across film, video and interactive digital media forms.
- Demonstrate the design knowledge and media techniques required to construct and use a variety of media forms and elements in interactive media.
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of the world wide web
- Develop skills to analyse the social implications of the use of media forms and items in a range of contexts.
- Creative thinking
- Introduction to web design/HTML
- Creating a visual presence
- Writing a treatment
- Visual design for video
- Sound design for video
- Video editing
- Photoshop for the web
- Website design
- Wrapping up the creative feedback process
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Apply your new knowledge and skills to create and distribute a media production you can add to your portfolio.
Gain the experience and build the confidence in preparing, shooting and editing video. Develop basic skills in video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro or iMovie. Build your knowledge of sound production and gain an essential understanding of copyright principles.
Learn to use programs like Photoshop to enhance images and generate graphics. Study essential elements of design including colour, typography and composition.
Develop your skills in using code like HTML and CSS to create your own website while ensuring your design is accessible and optimised for a user experience.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Digital Media degree.
- Continuous Assessment (60%)
- Project (40%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.