Information Technology Fundamentals
Dive into the history of computers. Look at the basics of their design, the structure of operating systems and more. Move onto programming. Learn skills to launch your career in IT.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Discuss IT concepts using appropriate terminology, including history, and current and future trends in IT.
- Contrast single and multi-user operating systems, and identify the contexts in which these models are suitable.
- Classify programming languages according to features.
- Identify which type of programming language is appropriate in different programming contexts.
- Describe how memory is organised and managed.
- Translate simple algorithms into assembly and machine languages.
- History of computers
- Computer architecture
- Memory technologies
- Operating system design
- Operating system types
- Basics of programming
- High level programming languages
- Language features
- Comparative programming languages
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This course will take you from the history of computers, through the basics of their design, into the role and structure of operating systems, and will finish with a focus on programming and comparative programming languages.
Your course content is heavily informed by industry needs and will lay a solid foundation to help launch your career in IT.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of IT and Data Analytics degree.
- Continuous Assessment (50%)
- Examination (50%)