Foundations of Health and Physical Activity
Learn about the importance of physical activity in prevention. Understand physical activity guidelines and their importance in an era of sedentary lifestyles. Consider the pros and cons of current interventions and public policy.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the role of sedentary behaviour and physical activity in the aetiology, prevention and management of lifestyle related chronic diseases.
- Identify populations at risk of insufficient physical activity or sedentary behaviour, and assess population characteristics and needs, including the social determinants of health, to inform development of appropriate interventions.
- Relate the benefits and risks of physical activity and apply best practice principals to recommend appropriate levels of physical activity for populations and subgroups throughout the lifespan.
- Describe and discuss the appropriate use (including expected outcomes), strengths and weaknesses of individual and population level interventions and policy to increase physical activity and reduce sedentary behaviour.
- Foundation knowledge: physical activity and sedentary behaviour
- Physical activity, sedentary behaviours and health
- Barriers and facilitators
- Intervention levels
- Intervention planning and evacuation
- Active ageing
- At risk populations
- Drivers for behaviour change
- Maintenance of behaviour change
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
By understanding the role that physical activity and sedentary behaviour play in the development, prevention, and management of health conditions, you will be better equipped to make effective health-related decisions in your personal and professional lives.
Understand how physical activity and sedentary behaviour impact multiple systems in our bodies and the role they play in the development of chronic health conditions. Your studies will cover the current physical activity guidelines and the evidence base behind it.
Learn to promote healthy ageing and build your knowledge on the risks associated with sedentary behaviour for older adults. Along with covering the importance of interventions at the environment, social and policy levels, you will also investigate the drivers to behaviour change at an individual level.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition and Exercise) degree.
- Assignment (60%)
- Portfolio (40%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.