Engineering Drawing with SolidWorks
Get drawing with computer-aided design. Visualise concepts and components using SolidWorks. Create 3d models of parts. Engineer drawings to define shape and size, and apply photorealistic rendering for display. Use animation to showcase motion.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain the need for engineers to produce and use a standard format of engineering drawings that defines an item to be built
- visualise items into their geometric parameters and using SolidWorks software create a 3D solid model of the items
- communicate design intent by using SolidWorks to create part and assembly drawings of an item to AS1100 that defines size, shape, materials, tolerances (linear, geometric and fits) and surface finish; details of assembly using section and exploded views; plus provide photo rendered images and animations of the design.
- Visualisation of geometric shapes
- Solid modelling and SolidWorks basics
- SolidWorks in industry
- Engineering drawings
- Section views; detailing assemblies
- Fasteners; limits and fits
- Tolerancing - linear and geometric
- Detailing welds
- Detailing surface texture
- Photo-rendering and animations
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone are required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
- SoftwareDetails - Students will require access to SolidWorks. This will be provided by UniSA.
In this subject you will learn to use the computer aided design software SolidWorks to create: 3D solid models of parts, engineering drawings to define shape and size, photo-renderings to display your designs and motion animations to show how a mechanism works. At the end of the subject you will sit the online Certified SolidWorks Associate test.
- Weekly Computer prac submit (30%)
- Design Project ePortfolio (50%)
- CSWA Test (10%)
- Weekly Post Lecture Quizzes (10%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject in Mechanical Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering