Engineering Design and Innovation
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jun 2023
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
Explore UniSA courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering design process and the Australian Standard for technical drawing AS1100.
- Develop visualisation and drawing skills and construct 2D drawings and 3D solid models to communicate design.
- Work constructively and effectively as an individual and apply project management principles to solve practical engineering problems.
- Apply the engineering design process, safe design principles and use innovation and creativity tools and techniques to develop an engineering solution.
- Demonstrate developing professional reflection, oral, written and visual communication skills appropriate for engineering practice.
- Creativity, Visualisation and Solid Modelling
- Solid Modelling and Introduction to the Project
- Engineering Design Process and Drawings
- Project Management and Dimensioning
- Engineering Ethics, Safety, Detailing Drawings and Animation
- Communicating your Design and Presentation Skills and Report Writing
- Career Development
- Universal / Inclusive Design
- Building, Testing and Evaluation
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This hands-on course introduces you to the engineering design process. It does this by combining two complementary strands. The first strand provides you with opportunities to solve engineering design problems and to recognise the roles that systems thinking, innovation and creativity play in the design process. It will also develop your visual communication skills such as understanding and producing 3D engineering models and 2D engineering drawings using SOLIDWORKS.
The second strand continues your ongoing development of the core skills, and personal and professional attributes you will need to work effectively as a professional engineer in diverse domestic and global contexts. These include building your body of knowledge, applying engineering design principles, working collaboratively, reflecting in professional contexts and communicating orally and in writing. This aspect of the course also includes the important role of ethics in engineering and giving and receiving constructive feedback as part of a diverse team.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a course from UniSA Online’s Associate Degree in Engineering.
Should your course have an exam it will be scheduled for Australian Central Standard Time or Australian Central Daylight Time, depending on the time of the year.
- Continuous Assessment - 1800 words equivalent (40%)
- Project - 2700 words equivalent (60%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).