Consider yourself a good listener and advice giver? Study the foundations of counselling with this introductory course. Cover psychotherapy theories, communication and interpersonal skills. Gain confidence in counselling concepts and theory.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 03 Apr 2023
- 18 Sep 2023
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
Explore UniSA courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the salient concepts and values which help define contemporary counselling.
- Develop an understanding of the role of theory in counselling practice.
- Develop an understanding of counselling practice in both the international and Australian context.
- Develop the skills to critically evaluate the strengths and limitations of each theory studied.
- Apply the principles of each theory to students' own life and experience.
- What can counselling and therapy offer
- Values and counselling
- Interpersonal communication
- Psychodynamic approaches
- Person-centred therapy
- Rational emotive behaviour therapy
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Transactional ego states
- Existential theory
- Multimodal and contemporary therapies
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Explore different counselling and psychotherapy theories that tackle what we know about how people think, feel and behave. Learn to apply your knowledge in a counselling setting to help people live happier and more productive lives.
Get an overview of different behavioural and cognitive approaches to counselling theories and practices in contemporary social and cultural settings. Develop your communication skills in a counselling context and examine psychological concepts related to interpersonal perception and learning.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Psychological Science and Sociology degree.
Should your course have an exam it will be scheduled for Australian Central Standard Time or Australian Central Daylight Time, depending on the time of the year.
- Continuous Assessment (60%)
- Essay (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).