Get confident in the elements of construction in Australia. Examine properties of materials — including their benefits for the environment, health and acoustics. Learn about materials such as clay, stone, steel, wood and more. Understand demolition.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Define the terminology, characteristics and scientific/engineering properties of the principal construction materials.
- Identify the application and installation requirements of construction materials and components to avoid component failure.
- Distinguish those factors based on materials structure and performance which influence the choice and selection of materials for adequate performance.
- History of construction materials
- Extraction and sourcing
- Fire and structural properties
- Environmental sustainability, toxicity and colour
- Specification, tolerances and verification
- Materials in systems and products
- In the construction phase
- Maintenance and disposal
- Future of construction materials
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Gain a solid understanding of the properties, manufacturing process and application of Australian construction materials. Discover how construction materials maximise the life and durability of a building while minimising costs.
From renewable, earth, metal and synthetic materials – learn about the vast range of materials that go into a building. Uncover what happens during the extraction, construction and demolition stages. Broaden your knowledge on the history of each material and explore innovations for future construction projects.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Construction Management degrees.
- Continuous Assessment (70%)
- Report (30%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.