Comparative Indigenous Studies
Compare how First Nation peoples in North America, Australia and the Pacific region experienced colonialism. Examine the strategies they used to respond to their invaders. Grapple with issues like culture, sovereignty, assimilation and treaties.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explore the main features of First Nation peoples of North America, Australia and the pacific region
- identify and apply appropriate frameworks for undertaking a comparative analysis
- critically analyse the different approaches to the colonisation of First Nation peoples
- evaluate a range of strategies employed by First Nation peoples in response to various forms of colonisation.
- Indigenous studies (3 topics)
- Australia (5 topics)
- North America (5 topics)
- New Zealand (5 topics)
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Standard Media
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Students will build on their knowledge of impacts of and responses to colonisation by First Nations peoples in North America, Australia and the Pacific region through exploration and analysis of approaches to comparative studies, pre-colonial cultures, colonialism, culture and ideology, diversity of social, economic and political structures, racism, assimilation, resistance, poverty, land rights, sovereignty and treaties and contemporary political movements.
- 750 words (15%)
- 1500 words (35%)
- 2250 words (50%)
Textbook information is pending.