Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Ethical Issues in Professional Life
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Aug 2021
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
On completion of this course students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Identify complex debates associated with the relationship between moral philosophy and applied ethics
- Articulate a thorough understanding of the three major theories of ethics in the Western philosophical tradition
- Demonstrate sophisticated philosophical skills associated with moral enquiry and a particular profession
- Apply a mastery analysis of the role that moral enquiry plays in the professions.
- The relationship between moral philosophy and applied ethics in professional life
- The relevance of ethics to specialisation
- Power and privilege in the professions
- Performance assessment
- Codes of ethics
- Institutional values
- Corporate ethical culture
- Secrecy and truth telling in counselling
- Professional and management responsibility and accountability
- Dealing with power and authority
- Conflict resolution
- Performance assessment and discipline
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This course will explore the relationship between moral philosophy and applied ethics in professional life. Further, we study such issues as the relevance of ethics to specialisation, power and privilege in the professions, performance assessment, codes of ethics institutional values and corporate ethical culture. Specialist seminar topics may include: confidentiality, secrecy and truth telling in counselling; professional and management responsibility and accountability; dealing with power and authority, conflict resolution, performance assessment & discipline.
- 10 individual posts based on weekly lessons (20%)
- Ethical Audit (complete template no more than 5000 words) (60%)
- Telelogical Analysis (1000 words) (20%)
Current study term: 01 Aug 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.