The Craft of Academic Writing
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
- 23 Oct 2023
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of, and skills in applying, the principles, techniques and scholarly conventions of academic writing and editing;
- use appropriate grammar, spelling, punctuation, methods of paragraph construction, referencing and presentation in written tasks;
- identify and apply research procedures that inform academic writing, including use of library resources, keyword searches, compilation of bibliographies, and note-taking; and
- plan, draft and develop short academic essays, taking account of feedback and applying the techniques for editing structure and content.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
In this subject, you will improve your skills in writing effectively for academic purposes. You will learn some essential principles of grammar and style, with a practical focus on essay writing. The subject progresses from fundamentals of sentence and paragraph structure through to researching and constructing an academic essay. It provides guidance on the ethics of writing by teaching the conventions of referencing. The subject is suitable to undertake in a wide range of courses. The communication skills that it develops will assist your academic studies and are transferable to diverse professional contexts.
Short Exercise: Three paragraphs of 200 words each. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Short Essay: Five paragraphs. 1000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Long Essay: Seven paragraphs. 1400 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Online Quiz: Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-2
- Short Exercise (15%)
- Short Essay (25%)
- Long Essay (50%)
- Online Quiz (10%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).