The Craft of Academic Writing
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Oct 2021
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of, and skills in applying, the principles, techniques and scholarly conventions of academic writing and editing;
- use appropriate grammar, spelling, punctuation, methods of paragraph construction, referencing and presentation in written tasks;
- identify and apply research procedures that inform academic writing, including use of library resources, keyword searches, compilation of bibliographies, and note-taking; and
- plan, draft and develop short academic essays, taking account of feedback and applying the techniques for editing structure and content.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject provides a working knowledge of written communication skills in an academic context and is suitable for any undergraduate degree in the University. Class work focuses on research strategies, language usage and essay writing. Students should be proficient in English and are expected to achieve basic word processing competency in their own time. Please note that this is not a creative writing, remedial or ESL unit. The focus is on formal writing for academic purposes.
Short Exercise: Three paragraphs of 200 words each. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Short Essay: Five paragraphs. 1000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Long Essay: Seven paragraphs. 1400 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-4 Online Quiz: Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-2
- Short Exercise (15%)
- Short Essay (25%)
- Long Essay (50%)
- Online Quiz (10%)
Current study term: 24 Oct 21 to 04 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.