Primary Mathematics 1: Numeracy
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 02 Mar 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the mathematics content relevant and necessary for teaching primary school students (GTSD 2.1.1);
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the research into student affect towards mathematics and how it impacts on student learning (GTSD 1.2.1);
- know and understand numeracy teaching tools and strategies and how they apply to mathematics teaching (GTSD 2.5.1); and
- demonstrate the capacity to interpret needs-based assessment data and plan an appropriate course of action (GTSD 5.4.1).
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
The subject covers the mathematics content appropriate to teachers of primary school students in the five strands of the NSW syllabus - Data, Measurement, Patterns and Algebra, Space and Geometry and Number. Students will be able to demonstrate their personal content knowledge in these strands, recognise the developmental nature of mathematics learning, and be familiar with the content and structure of the mathematics taught in primary school.
Assessment 1: 2000 words. Assessment Notes: Written task. Relates to GTSD: 2.1.1, 2.5.1, 5.4.1. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Lectures and Tutorials: Assessment Note - On campus students must attend and participate in at least 80% of lectures and tutorials, with absences to be satisfactorily accounted for e.g. by a doctor's certificate. Online students should participate in the online activity/forum postings. Students not meeting this requirement will receive an NC (Compulsory Fail) grade for the subject. Final Examination: 2hrs 15mins. 2000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Relates to GTSD: 1.2.1, 2.1.1, 2.5.1, 5.4.1. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Assessment 1 (50%)
- Lectures and Tutorials (0%)
- Final Examination (50%)
Textbook information is pending.