Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 04 Mar 2019
- 08 Jul 2019
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- understand the ways of scientific thinking by recognising that chemistry plays an essential role in society and underpins many industrial, technological and medical advances;
- investigate and involve qualitative and quantitative problems in chemistry by understanding basic chemical concepts concerning energy and matter, chemical reactions, chemical composition and quantities, atomic structure and bonding, states of matter, equilibrium, acids and bases and redox and electrochemistry;
- communicate knowledge by appropriately documenting the essential details of experimental procedures undertaken, key observations, results and conclusions; and presenting information, articulating arguments and conclusions, in a variety of modes, to diverse audiences, and for a range of purposes; and
- take personal, professional and social responsibility by recognising the relevant and required ethical conduct and behaviour within which chemistry is practised; and demonstrating a capability for self-directed learning and a capacity for working responsibly and safely.
- Topics are only available to enrolled students in the subject Moodle site.
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - • Headphones or speakers ( required to listen to lecture and other media provided in subjects, a USB style headset has proven to provide superior audio quality to the jack style headset when used for online teaching software) • Headset, including microphone (highly recommended for participation in virtual classrooms) • Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations)
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete their subjects. UNE's minimum requirements for all students in relation to the hardware and software a student requires to support their learning are found at: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
This subject is a foundation level bridging subject designed for students entering science-based degree programs who have a weak background in chemistry.
Assessment 1: Online Quizzes. 4 online quizzes. Each individual quiz weighted at 5%. It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4 Assessment 2: Online Laboratory Skills Quiz. It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4 Assessment 3: Mid-Trimester Examination. It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4 Final Examination: Must obtain at least 45% in the Final Examination and obtain an overall passing grade. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4
- Assessment 1 (20%)
- Assessment 2 (15%)
- Assessment 3 (25%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (40%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.