Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
- 28 Jun 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- understand chemistry plays an essential role in society;
- demonstrate an understanding of fundamental chemical principles such as matter, elements, ions, molecules and compounds, atomic structure, measurements and chemical reactions;
- describe, interpret and explain basic chemical concepts including bonding, stoichiometry, solutions, acid-base and redox chemistry;
- describe and interpret types of hydrocarbons;
- solve simple mathematical and conceptual chemistry problems, and demonstrate a capability for self-directed learning; and
- communicate knowledge by interpreting the essential details of experimental procedures, key observations, results and conclusions; and applying theory.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - • Headphones or speakers ( required to listen to lecture and other media provided in subjects, a USB style headset has proven to provide superior audio quality to the jack style headset when used for online teaching software) • Headset, including microphone (highly recommended for participation in virtual classrooms) • Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations)
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete their subjects. UNE's minimum requirements for all students in relation to the hardware and software a student requires to support their learning are found at: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period. Students are expected to purchase prescribed material. Textbook information may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject is a foundation level bridging subject designed for students entering science-based degree programs who have no background in chemistry.
Assessment 1: Online Quizzes. 4 online quizzes. Each individual quiz weighted at 5%. It is mandatory to achieve an overall pass in this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Assessment 2: Online Laboratory Skills Quiz. It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Assessment 3: Mid-Trimester Examination. It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Final Examination: Must obtain at least 45% in the Final Examination and obtain an overall passing grade. The exam will be offered online with supervision via webcam and screen sharing technology. Coordinated by UNE Exams Unit.Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Assessment 1 (20%)
- Assessment 2 (15%)
- Assessment 3 (20%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (45%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 24 Sep 21
Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation
Zumdahl, S.S. and DeCoste, D.J.