Foundations of Academic Research
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jun 2023
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 22,000 students, UNE is an expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
Explore UNE courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of academic research approaches and methods in a range of disciplines in Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences;
- demonstrate an understanding of the rationale, value and ethics of academic research; and
- analyse and evaluate different types of research.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
Good research is one cornerstone of academic success. Being able to engage in, and understand what good research is, regardless of the course or major, will allow you to succeed in your studies. There are various approaches and methods involved in conducting research properly. Understanding them is important to your study at university but may also be relevant to your life outside of university, in a range of professional and community contexts. This subject introduces skills for critical and successful undergraduate research. It is a practical subject examining research purposes, methods, techniques, and ethics, across a range of disciplines. It is a valuable subject for those beginning their study and research journey in multiple areas of interest.
Online Quizzes: 1000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1 Written Assessment 1: 750 words. Assessment Notes: Understanding Research. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1,2 Written Assessment 2: 750 words. Assessment Notes: Solving a Research Problem. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 3 Written Assessment 3: 750 words. Assessment Notes: Evaluating Research. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 3 Students must complete all assessment items.
- Online Quizzes (25%)
- Written Assessment 1 (25%)
- Written Assessment 2 (25%)
- Written Assessment 3 (25%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).