Chinese Language 1B
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
- 28 Jun 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- participate appropriately in simple conversations at an introductory level of Chinese (Mandarin);
- recognise and produce the sounds and tones of Modern Standard Chinese with increasing accuracy;
- use the pinyin system of romanisation with increasing accuracy;
- read and write simple passages in Chinese of at least 150 characters in length; and
- demonstrate some accuracy in using a limited range of basic sentence patterns, vocabulary, and cultural knowledge, at an introductory level of Chinese proficiency.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
To enrol in this subject you will need to pass UNE-CHIN101 subject. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not receive a satisfactory result for UNE-CHIN101.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Travel requirements - Travel may be required if students choose to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School. 2021 dates to be advised.
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject continues your introduction to Modern Standard Chinese. The topics and situations covered are useful ones related to the practicalities of daily life in China. Your listening and speaking skills will improve, and you will learn to use many further types of simple sentence patterns. You will develop greater confidence in writing and reading Chinese, and significantly extend the number of characters you can recognise and write.
Language Assessment 1: 1000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-5. Language Assessment 2: 1000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-5. Online Assessment: 500 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Online participation and self-quizzes. Relates to Learning Outcomes 2, 3, 5 Take Home Exam: 2hrs 15mins. Assessment Notes: It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the unit. Relates to Learning Outcomes 3-5.
- Language Assessment 1 (20%)
- Language Assessment 2 (20%)
- Online Assessment (10%)
- Take Home Exam - 2 hrs 15 mins (50%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 24 Sep 21
Chinese Flashcards Kit Volume 1: Characters 1-349
Lee, P. Y.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major