Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Chinese Language 1B
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- participate appropriately in simple conversations at an introductory level of Chinese (Mandarin);
- recognise and produce the sounds and tones of Modern Standard Chinese with increasing accuracy;
- use the pinyin system of romanisation with increasing accuracy;
- read and write simple passages in Chinese of at least 150 characters in length; and
- demonstrate some accuracy in using a limited range of basic sentence patterns, vocabulary, and cultural knowledge, at an introductory level of Chinese proficiency.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject. Travel may be required to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject continues your introduction to Modern Standard Chinese. The topics and situations covered are useful ones related to the practicalities of daily life in China. Your listening and speaking skills will improve, and you will learn to use many further types of simple sentence patterns. You will develop greater confidence in writing and reading Chinese, and significantly extend the number of characters you can recognise and write.
Language Assessment 1: 1000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-5. Language Assessment 2: 1000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-5. Online Assessment: 500 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Online participation and self-quizzes. Relates to Learning Outcomes 2, 3, 5 Final Examination: 2hrs 15mins. Assessment Notes: It is mandatory to pass the final examination in order to pass the unit. Relates to Learning Outcomes 3-5. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Language Assessment 1 (20%)
- Language Assessment 2 (20%)
- Online Assessment (10%)
- Final Examination (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major