Build a strong foundation for your future mathematic, science or business studies. Enter the world filled with numbers, percentages and formulas. Draw up graphs as you study statistics. Understand basic geometry, trigonometry and algebra.
This unit covers:
Module 1 – Beginning Mathematics
- Topic 1: Working with numbers
- Topic 2: Working with percentages
- Topic 3: Working with geometry
- Topic 4: Working with ratios and trigonometry
Module 2 – Introduction to Algebra
- Topic 1: Formulae and equations
- Topic 2: Powers, scientific notations and the metric system
- Topic 3: The Cartesian coordinate system
Module 3 – Linear and Quadratic Functions
- Topic 1: The rules of algebra
- Topic 2: Linear equations and applications
- Topic 3: Graphs and equations
Module 4 – Basic Functions and Matrix Algebra
- Topic 1: The concepts of functions – linear functions
- Topic 2: The quadratic functions and polynomial functions
- Topic 3: Exponential functions and logarithms
- Topic 4: Matrix algebra
Module 5 – Introduction to Statistics
- Topic 1: Terminology and data collections
- Topic 2: Representing data
- Topic 3: Summarising data
- Topic 4: Exploring Bi-variate data
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Book of readings
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
This unit does not assume that you have any prior knowledge beyond general reading and writing skills. It does presume you are self-motivated and capable of self-directed learning.
No special requirements
The subject is a preparatory mathematics subject designed to help you gain the necessary knowledge to enter into a tertiary study. This subject helps you to gain an understanding of percentages, basic geometry and trigonometry leading to an introduction to algebraic manipulation and linear, quadratic and exponential functions. Matrix algebra is introduced and the final module introduces elementary statistics. On successful completion of this subject, you should have a sound mathematical base for further studies at advanced levels, or to commence tertiary studies in business or similar degrees.
This subject includes individual tutorial support with an experienced high school mathematics teacher. Tutorial support is via email, phone and an online classroom with discussion forums. There is also a Unilearn Student Support Officer available to help you throughout your study. This subject provides 4 core credits towards your QCE.
The subject has flexible enrolment dates to meet your needs. Start your study when you want and complete the subject any time within the 12 month enrolment window. This subject is equivalent to General Mathematics (Math A). This subject requires a minimum of 220 hours or 18 weeks to complete. The 18-week option is only available to you if you complete the subject in the online classroom. For international students, an additional $150 is applied to your subject for postage and handling of overseas materials. The cost of the textbook is not included in the subject price.
The final exam is not included in the subject price. The cost of the exam is $75 (International exams $150). For more information please call the Student Advisor team on 13OPEN (13 6736) or visit http://unilearn.net.au/current-students/final-exam/
Note: Most students take 540 hours to complete the degree as the 220 minimum hours is the learning in the textbook only and does not take into account completing homework, reading time, tutorial help and progress tests. Please keep this in mind when nominating to complete in an accelerated timeframe.
- Practice questions (0%)
- Progress tests (10%)
- Invigilation by provider (90%)