Ponder the building blocks of life as you build you understanding of biology up to a tertiary-ready level.Inspect cell structures up close. Study ecosystem dynamics. Unpack Darwin’s theory of evolution and look to the future of biotechnology.
- 31 Dec 2018
Established in Queensland in 1999, Unilearn specialises in supporting and creating learning opportunities such as foundation subjects for people looking to return to study, or to gain the qualifications needed to enrol in university. They cater for rural and remote students as well as international students and collaborate with Open Universities Australia and their partners to encourage lifelong learning.
This unit covers:
UNIT 1: Introduction of Biology
- Chapter 1 - The nature of biology
UNIT 2: The Diversity of Life
- Chapter 2 – Classifying organisms
- Chapter 3 – Overview of living organisms
- Chapter 4 – Phylogenetic relationships
- Chapter 5 – The effect of organisms on humans
UNIT 3: Ecology
- Chapter 6 – Organisms and their environment
- Chapter 7 – Populations
- Chapter 8 – Ecosystem dynamics
- Chapter 9 – Communities and their habitats
- Chapter 10 – Human impact on the environment
UNIT 4: Animal Behaviour
- Chapter 11 – Animal behaviour
UNIT 5: Cell Biology
- Chapter 12 – Chemicals of life
- Chapter 13 – Cell structure
- Chapter 14 – Cell functions
UNIT 6: The Functioning Organism
- Chapter 15 – Plant Physiology
- Chapter 16 – Plant reproduction, growth and development
- Chapter 17 – Animal physiology
- Chapter 18 – The human body
- Chapter 19 – Human reproduction, growth and development
UNIT 7: Genetics
- Chapter 20 – The inheritance of characteristics
- Chapter 21 – Gene action
UNIT 8: Evolution
- Chapter 22 – Theories of evolution
- Chapter 23 – The mechanisms of evolution
UNIT 9: Biotechnology
- Chapter 24 – Biotechnology
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Streaming Multimedia
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
This unit does not assume that you have any prior knowledge beyond general reading and writing skills. It does presume you are self-motivated and capable of self-directed learning.
No special requirements
The subject is a preparatory biology subject designed to help you gain the necessary knowledge to enter into a tertiary study. This subject highlights basic concepts of biology and builds skills required to be successful in obtaining a health science or biological sciences degree. The subject explores modern biology by considering the structure and function of biological systems at various levels of organisation across a range of biological subjects.
This subject includes individual tutorial support with an experienced high school biology teacher. Tutorial support is via email, phone and an online classroom with discussion forums. There is also a Unilearn Student Support Officer available to help you throughout your study. This subject provides 4 core credits towards your QCE.
The subject has flexible enrolment dates to meet your needs. Start your study when you want and complete the subject any time within the 12 month enrolment window. This subject is equivalent to year 11/12 Biology. This subject requires a minimum of 220 hours or 18 weeks to complete. The 18-week option is only available to you if you complete the subject in the online classroom. For international students, an additional $150 is applied to your subject for postage and handling of overseas materials. The cost of the textbook is not included in the subject price.
The final exam is not included in the subject price. The cost of the exam is $75 (International exams $150). For more information please call the Student Advisor team on 13OPEN (13 6736) or visit http://unilearn.net.au/current-students/final-exam/
Note:Most students take 540 hours to complete the degree as the 220 minimum hours is the learning in the textbook only and does not take into account completing homework, reading time, tutorial help and progress tests. Please keep this in mind when nominating to complete in an accelerated timeframe.
- Practice questions (0%)
- Lab Activities (15%)
- Invigilation by provider (70%)
- Progress Tests (15%)
Textbook information is pending.