Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Expose your mind to psychology's core theories and methods. Increase your understanding of how sensory processes, learning and memory work. Use these learnings to explain everyday behaviours. Visit the world of abnormal, clinical and health psychology.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2020
Subjects may require attendance
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Student who successfully complete this subjects will be able to:
- Explain the general methods of investigation employed in psychological research, and show an appreciation of the main issues in research ethics
- Explain key concepts from major content areas in psychology. These include: biological underpinnings of psychology; sensory processes, perception, and consciousness; health, clinical, and abnormal psychology
- Locate, organise and integrate information from various sources concerning topics and problems relating to psychology
- Communicate in a logical and clear manner the results of investigating a topic or problems relating to psychology
- Apply psychological theories, methods, and data to explain aspects of your everyday experiences and behaviours.
- Sensation and perception
- Biological bases of psychology
- Abnormal, clinical, and health psychology
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
It is recommended you complete STA10003 Foundations of Statistics before undertaking this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Students are required to use MindTap software for this unit. This is available either
along with the MindTap Bundle listed below in the 'Textbooks you'll need' section; or
directly through the Cengage website. https://login.cengagebrain.com
This subject is designed to provide students with a broad introduction to the main theories and methods of psychology.
Please note: assessment values are indicative only, details will be advised at the start of the subject.
This subject is part of the Social Science Pathway.
OUA Pathways recommends the best subjects to start your studies, even if you're not sure which degree you want to do. Each pathway includes four subjects based on your area of interest.
Once you complete your recommended path you'll be able to choose from a range of degrees in your area of interest. Plus, each of the subjects you complete through OUA Pathways can also be credited towards your chosen degree.
Learn more about OUA Pathways.
- Assignment 1 (25%)
- Assignment 2 (35%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)