Analysis of Variance and Regression
Line up and calculate statistical modelling for a range of research designs. Examine how analysis of variance (ANOVA) and multiple regression methods are used to assess experimental and observational research data. Interpret results and write reports.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
Learn more about Swinburne.
Explore Swinburne courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Apply and analyse data using multiple regression model;
- Interpret the results of multiple regression;
- Identify and explain the concepts of mediation and interaction (moderation) within multiple regression models;
- Apply and analyse data using Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) models;
- Identify and explain the concept of interaction with ANOVA models;
- Interpret results of ANOVA models;
- Write concise reports of analyses.
- A review of fundamentals
- Review of Correlation and Simple Linear Regression
- Hypothesis testing
- Introduction to Multiple Regression Models
- Multiple regression
- Part and partial correlation
- Presentation of results
- Testing assumptions for regression
- Testing for interactions
- Analysis of Variance Models
- Introduction to the analysis of variance
- Single factor independent groups design
- Completely randomised factorial design
- Single factor within subjects design
- Mixed factorial design
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- SWI-STA210 (Not currently available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- SWI-STA10003-Foundations of Statistics (No longer available)
- SWI-STA102 (Not currently available)
- Other requirements -
Access to the SPSS standard statistical software v24. Earlier versions of SPSS (from version 20 onwards) are acceptable. Please note: the "Base" Grad Pack is not sufficient to complete this unit.versions of SPSS (from version 20 onwards) are acceptable. Please note: the "Base" Grad Pack is not sufficient to complete this unit.
This subject will introduce students to fundamental statistical areas of research design and linear models. It examines how multiple regression and Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) can be used to analyse experimental and observational research using a variety of research designs.
As the subject builds on the skills developed in STA10003 Foundations of Statistics, this prerequisite is strictly enforced.
Please note: assessment values are indicative only, details will be advised at the start of the subject.
- Assignment (40%)
- Final Assessment (TBC) (40%)
- Test — Online topic tests (20%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).