Innovation Cultures: Perspectives on Science and Technology
Find out how media is influenced by science and technology. Return to the era of the printing press, then fast-forward to today’s screen-based technologies. Get critical with key theoretical concepts to explore shifts in science, technology and culture.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 27 May 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
Student who successfully complete of this subject will be able to:
- Examine and identify the role of today’s media and media industries from a socio-historical perspective
- Construct and justify logical arguments about the relationship between science, technology and culture
- Critique received views through the application of key theoretical concepts
- Apply the critical distance and historical perspective necessary to anticipate future shifts in Science, Technology and Culture.
- Theoretical Frameworks of Understanding Science and Techonology
- Influence of the Printing Press
- Mobile Media
- Broadcast and Convergence
- Participatory Culture
- Technology and evolution
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Printable format materials
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject is part of the Science Pathway.
OUA Pathways recommends the best subjects to start your studies, even if you're not sure which degree you want to do. Each pathway includes four subjects based on your area of interest.
Once you complete your recommended path you'll be able to choose from a range of degrees in your area of interest. Plus, each of the subjects you complete through OUA Pathways can also be credited towards your chosen degree.
Learn more about OUA Pathways.
- Innovation Poster Individual (20%)
- Assignment Individual (40%)
- Major Essay Individual (40%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbooks are not required.