- Contemporary issues in Data management
- Big Data, structured (records) vs unstructured (free-text) (may use open data, web crawler/scraping, SM feeds), Data Warehouse, Data Mart
- DB Storage, Cloud Storage, Master Data Management etc.
- Enterprise data life cycle, data governance
- Infrastructure and Architecture
- Data quality, relevance, data relationships (and/or relationships between datasets), value of data
- Cloud-based Data/Database service providers & models (i.e., IaaS)
- Sourcing & acquisitions of services, SLAs
- "Other issues": legal, ethical, security
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject covers the management perspective of contemporary data management (particularly big data) issues in an organisational/ business context. Students will be introduced to issues that arise when data is gathered from multiple sources in various formats for many diverse purposes, as well as the relevant managerial, organisational, governance, IT strategy issues. Students will explore why key aspects of a contemporary data management such as Master Data Management, Cloud storage, Social Media data, Data Warehouses, non-relational databases, Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service and Software as a Service should not be regarded as exclusively techno-centric concepts but also as a business/management consideration.
- Assignment 1 - Individual/Group (100%)