Security in Computing and IT
Secure a solid technical grasp of IT security systems. Clarify and assess security measures and privacy issues across diverse digital platforms. Verify and protect data. Lock in a career as an IT security expert in a high demand, growth industry.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Nov 2021
Australia's largest dual-sector institute, offering both TAFE and higher education, RMIT University proudly delivers work-related education and practical research relevant to current business and community needs. More than 60,000 students study with RMIT, and many of their degrees are available through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this course you should be able to:
1. explain the functioning of security services in computing environments and the security issues in networked applications.
2. discuss various types of data integrity and confidentiality mechanisms including public key cryptography.
3. describe basic system security mechanisms and protocols, such as those used in operating systems, file systems and computer networks.
4. analyse the overarching importance of IT security in areas such as networking, databases, operating systems, and web systems.
5. apply privacy principles in basic practical settings in IT environments.
6. analyse and evaluate the security of computing and IT systems on a practical level and privacy related issues in computing.
- Security mechanisms, attack methods
- Elementary cryptography
- Access control
- Operating system security
- Database security
- Network security
- Web security
- Mobile computing
- Internet banking
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- Other requirements - Stable broadband connection required to access online learning materials and live chat sessions/recordings. (note: mobile broadband users may have difficulties participating in live chat sessions)
Security has become a focal area in IT; it has grown and evolved significantly in recent years and different areas of specialisation have emerged.
This course gives an introduction to technical aspects of security for future IT professionals, and presents the foundations. It looks at fundamental cryptographic and security mechanisms used in various areas of networked applications and computing, including operating systems, databases and web-based applications as well as modern privacy preserving systems and blockchains.
For computer systems that are used and relied upon in many areas of life, security has become an important aspect; availability and correct operation are essential. IT professionals working in the field need to be well acquainted with the security features of the tools and applications they use and produce. Protection of data regardless of the information they contain is a critical task, and requires expertise.
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Assignment 2 (25%)
- Assignment 1 (10%)
- Online Test(s) (15%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.