Put the theory behind bioinformatics under the microscope. Step inside database and information systems and see how they’re organised. Identify biological proteins and analyse their structures. Manipulate DNA sequences and study molecular modelling.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 02 Mar 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- understand the theoretical basis behind bioinformatics
- search databases accessible on the WWW for literature relating to molecular biology and biotechnology
- retrieve information from databases using text and sequence searching
- manipulate DNA and protein sequences
- construct and interpret evolutionary trees
- analyse protein sequences, identify proteins, and retrieve protein structures from databases. View and interpret these structures. Understand homology modelling.
- Descriptions of genetic and biological databases
- Introduction to proteomics
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
A basic knowledge of molecular biology/ genetics.
No special requirements
Please note: This subject was previously coded SCB320.
Bioinformatics is the computational management and use of biological information to solve biological problems. This unit will cover several aspects of this rapidly evolving field. Topics will include descriptions of genetic and biological databases and relevant tools available to retrieve and analyse the information within these. Sequence alignment will be covered in some detail. An introduction to proteomics will be given, including protein identification, molecular modelling and methods to determine protein structure. This subject is designed to enable students to evaluate biological data using bioinformatics techniques, and to become adept at performing such analyses.
- Project Report 1 (30%)
- Analysis Task (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
Textbook information is pending.