- States & International Relations;
- Theorizing International Relations
- Security & Securitization;
- Military Threats from Inter-State Wars
- Military Threats from Non-State Actors
- Economic & Social Threats to Security
- Environment & Health Threats to Security;
- Environmental and economic security
- Accidents & Natural Disasters;
- Crime & Insecurity
- International Relations in a Globalizing World
- Global Governance & Global Security
- Future of Security Studies
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Students must have completed 18 credit points (6 OUA subjects) at Level 1 before enrolling in this subject. This subject is also equivalent to PTR291 International Security Studies.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as POL291 International Security Studies.
This subject defines international security broadly to incorporate political, societal, military, environmental, economic and technological factors. After examining the competing theories of international politics and different conceptions of security, the focus shifts to the post-Cold War international system and especially the roles of the Subjected Nations and international law in international security. It utilises case studies from various regions to explain the changing dimensions of security.
- Assignment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts Security Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- Part I (Level 1) Core units - Major
- PART II (Level 3) Core units - Major
- PART II (Level 2) Core units - Major
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Community Development
- Major in International Aid and Development
- Major in Security, Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- Major in Sustainable Development