- The structure of the Later Roman Empire
- The nature of written sources for the period
- Key genres of written sources for the period
- Roman and 'barbarian' interaction and ideological representation
- The fragmentation of the Roman West and the establishment of the 'barbarian kingdoms'
- The structure of the western kingdoms and their relationship with the east Roman empire
- The issue of identity
- Modern interpretations and uses of the Fall of Rome
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Students must complete a level 1 study in Ancient History prior to commencing this subject.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as AHIX320 The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
- Assignment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
- Non-Invigilated Exam (30%)
- Online Discussion (10%)
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in English
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Society and Culture
- Major in Sociology