- The structure of the Later Roman Empire
- The nature of written sources for the period
- Key genres of written sources for the period
- Roman and 'barbarian' interaction and ideological representation
- The fragmentation of the Roman West and the establishment of the 'barbarian kingdoms'
- The structure of the western kingdoms and their relationship with the east Roman empire
- The issue of identity
- Modern interpretations and uses of the Fall of Rome
- Assignment 1 - Assignment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 - Assignment 2 (30%)
- Assignment 3 - Non-Invigilated Exam (30%)
- Assignment 4 - Online Discussion (10%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as AHIX320 The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.