Security Policy Analysis: Current and Emerging Issues
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Understand current security challenges within their broader historical, cultural, political and geographic contexts.
- Explain the motivations and objectives of both sides within a conflict and be able to identify their strategic options
- Critically evaluate the quality of news reporting on current security-related issues.
- Critically analyse the strategic and policy options current available to the Australian government and the international community towards current security issues and challenges
- Demonstrate the ability to weigh and evaluate policy options
- Strategic concepts
- Terrorism issues
- Civil and ethnic conflict
- Climate security
- Nuclear proliferation
- Cyber and Space Policy
- Emerging and disruptive technologies
- Women Peace and Security
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Pre-requisite 50cp at 2000 level or above
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject examines current issues in national and international security. It allows students to investigate the most prominent challenges, dynamics and events that are occurring (sometimes in real time) as the unit is being delivered. This unit is dynamic and fluid with the specific topics varying from year-to-year to reflect the contemporary world; however topics may range from great power strategic competition through to terrorist attacks, civil wars, infectious disease outbreaks and nuclear proliferation. Leading authorities from the Department of Security Studies and Criminology, Macquarie University, state and federal government, the think-tank community, the media or other research institutions may be enlisted to deliver expert analysis on these current events. Each week, students will receive an expert brief on different contemporary topics before being asked to critically analyse the issues involved.
- Tutorial activities (10%)
- Policy Memo (40%)
- Reserch Essay (50%)
Current study term: 24 Jul 22 to 06 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.