Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Science of Sex
Chart how the human attitude and biological approach to sex has evolved. Understand the chemistry that influences partners’ attraction to each other. Scrutinise hormones, reproductive cycles and the sexual behaviours of both humans and animals.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between asexual and sexual reproduction, and articulate why sexual reproduction has evolved
- Understand and use correct biological terminology
- Comprehend core evolutionary processes, especially in relation to sexual selection, and the distinction between sexual and natural selection
- Investigate different mating systems for both plants and animals, and compare the strategies used by males and females from each system
- Succinctly summarise and effectively communicate scientific information on a sexual selection topic.
- Synthesise and critically evaluate perspectives from primary scientific papers in the sexual selection literature
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
completion of 4 1000 level units
- OtherDetails -
Students must have access to MS PowerPoint and Excel
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA subjects offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in subjects through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject is designed to appeal to a broad diversity of students, from those studying science to those in anthropology, arts, communication, education, psychology, sociology, etc. Indeed, we hope it will engage all students with an active interest in being alive! A scientific background is not required for students taking this subject, but we hope to provide students with a scientific approach to understanding sex. This subject takes a broad approach, using examples (some quite bizarre) from the animal and plant worlds. At the same time, it covers in depth the sexual biology and behavioural science of our own intriguing species.
- Science Literacy assessment (5% each topic, 20% total, 4 due dates) (20%)
- Peer review (5%)
- Quizzes 2-11 (5% each topic, 50% total) (50%)
- Poster assessment (25%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.