Rome and the Caesars
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion you will be able to
- illustrate a broad knowledge of historical developments, research principals and discipline specific methodologies for the study of Roman imperial history
- examine and critically evaluate historical data with initiative and judgement and illustrate competency through devising and sustaining arguments and solving of problems relating to Roman imperial history
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Pre-requisite: completion of 40cps.
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
Rome and the Caesars focuses on the political and institutional history from the murder of Julius Caesar (44 BC) through to the First Tetrarchy (AD 284-305). Students will study the lives and policies of Roman emperors, as well as the impact of Rome on the provinces. Training will be provided in the study of literature, coins, inscriptions and archaeological evidence.
- Take home examination (40%)
- Coin assignment (20%)
- Essay (40%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations
- Major in Applied Ethics