- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subject or other relevant experience.
No special requirements
This subject critically examines how the Australian government formulates defence and national security policy. The subject explores the historical development of Australia’s defence policy by looking at the political, geographic and cultural factors that have shaped Australian perceptions of its own security requirements. The subject then discusses the current strategic challenges facing Australia, including the rise of China, the US ‘pivot’ to Asia, regional military modernisation, and the threats emanating from weak and failing states. The subject concludes by examining current Australian defence debates on how best to respond to these emerging security threats and challenges. By the end of this subject, students will possess a deep understanding of the issues involved with how Australia can and might use military force to pursue its strategic interests. The subject complements PICX112, which addresses Indo-Pacific security.
- Assignment 1 - Assessment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 - Assessment 2 (30%)
- Assignment 3 - Assessment 3 (40%)