Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings
Explore theories of STEM learning for children 0-5 years. Examine conceptual development and how children use play to relay their experiences and make sense of the world. Study curriculum design with an emphasis on mathematics, science and technology.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the major theoretical developments in early childhood mathematics, science and technology education.
2. Examine the role of play in children's mathematics, science and technology in early learning settings.
3. Evaluate a number of mathematics, science and technology resources
4. Engage in the multi-faceted task of early childhood curriculum design with an emphasis on mathematics, science and technology.
5. Locate and synthesise a wide range of contemporary research literature relating to mathematics, science and technology in early learning.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECHX827-Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED827, ECEX827, ECHX827 NCCW ECHE8270 Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings Pre-requisite ECHX600 or ECEX600 or ECHX6000 and Admission to MTeach(0-5)
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX827 Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings.
This subject explores theories of learning in mathematics, science and technology for young children (birth to five years). Students will examine the specialist role of play and conceptual development in a range of early childhood settings. Current issues in research and practice will be investigated through independent study. Students acquire autonomy and expert knowledge of pedagogy and content for mathematics, science and technology as they design and evaluate learning experiences for young children.
- Literature review and experience plans (50%)
- Literture and resource review (50%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.