Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings
Explore theories of STEM learning for children 0-5 years. Examine conceptual development and how children use play to relay their experiences and make sense of the world. Study curriculum design with an emphasis on mathematics, science and technology.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the major theoretical developments in early childhood mathematics, science and technology education.
2. Examine the role of play in children's mathematics, science and technology in early learning settings.
3. Evaluate a number of mathematics, science and technology resources
4. Engage in the multi-faceted task of early childhood curriculum design with an emphasis on mathematics, science and technology.
5. Locate and synthesise a wide range of contemporary research literature relating to mathematics, science and technology in early learning.
- Early mathematical thinking and learning
- Math concepts and processes: Number and pattern, shape and measurement, chance and data
- Storytelling and mathematics
- Science – Earth sciences and environmental education, Space science and living things, Chemistry and Physics.
- Technology- Historical concerns
- Young children learning with technology
- Technology and digital citizenship
- Screens and Beyond
- Early STEM
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Interactive Games
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECHX827-Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX827 Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings.
This unit explores theories of learning in mathematics, science and technology for young children (birth to five years). Students will examine the specialist role of play and conceptual development in a range of early childhood settings. Current issues in research and practice will be investigated through independent study. Students acquire autonomy and expert knowledge of pedagogy and content for mathematics, science and technology as they design and evaluate learning experiences for young children.
- Assignment 1 (50%)
- Assignment 2 (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.