Revive the ancient and beautiful Latin language.
Establish a working knowledge of Latin words, sentences and passages. Read Latin script and recognise nouns and verbs. Write sentences while drawing on an understanding of grammar and syntax.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2020
Subjects may require attendance
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- read Latin script
- understand the grammar and syntax of simple Latin texts at word level, phrase level and sentence level
- identify relevant Latin vocabulary
- translate simple Latin texts
- write and/or type in Latin.
- Verbs: person, tense
- Adjectives; irregular verbs - esse, posse
- Verbs: voice, mood
- Pronouns I: demonstrative adjectives
- Participles: deponent, semi-deponent verbs
- Verbs: subjunctive mood; sequence of tenses
- Pronouns II: 4th and 5th declension nouns
- Revision and examination
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-AHIX218-Latin A
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as AHIX218 Latin A...
This subject is designed to establish sound foundations in basic Latin forms and constructions, to teach the reading of Latin sentences and passages of increasing difficulty and to teach the writing of Latin sentences.
- Assignment 1 — Prose Compositions (20%)
- Assignment 2 — Document analysis (15%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
- Participation (10%)
- Test — Grammar Quizzes (15%)