Revive the ancient and beautiful Latin language.
Establish a working knowledge of Latin words, sentences and passages. Read Latin script and recognise nouns and verbs. Write sentences while drawing on an understanding of grammar and syntax.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Feb 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Recognise and recall Latin script and phonetic structure
- Identify and recall Latin grammatical structures at elementary level
- Recognise and memorise foundational Latin vocabulary
- Assess the grammar required for the translation of simple Latin texts
- Explore relevant grammatical and lexical reference tools
- Recognise and recall linguistic technical terms
- Integrate knowledge of grammar and vocabulary in reading and/or writing simple Latin texts
- Explore the significance of Latin for the study of relevant ancient cultures
- "A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials."
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-AHIX218-Latin A (No longer available)
- MAQ-HST230 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-AHIX118-Latin A (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) AHIX218, AHIS118, HST230, AHIX118
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This unit introduces students of ancient history to study of the Latin language. It provides a systematic introduction to the grammar (especially morphology and basic syntax) and vocabulary. The unit also aims to help students develop the skills necessary for reading original Latin texts, and explores the significance of Latin for the study of relevant ancient cultures.
- Online examination (35%)
- Prose Composition (35%)
- Participation (15%)
- 3 online Quizzes (15%)
Current study term: 19 Feb 23 to 04 Jun 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.