Revive the ancient and beautiful Latin language.
Establish a working knowledge of Latin words, sentences and passages. Read Latin script and recognise nouns and verbs. Write sentences while drawing on an understanding of grammar and syntax.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- read Latin script
- understand the grammar and syntax of simple Latin texts at word level, phrase level and sentence level
- identify relevant Latin vocabulary
- translate simple Latin texts
- write and/or type in Latin.
- Verbs: person, tense
- Adjectives; irregular verbs - esse, posse
- Verbs: voice, mood
- Pronouns I: demonstrative adjectives
- Participles: deponent, semi-deponent verbs
- Verbs: subjunctive mood; sequence of tenses
- Pronouns II: 4th and 5th declension nouns
- Revision and examination
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as AHIX118 Latin A and AHIX218 Latin A.
This subject is designed to establish sound foundations in basic Latin forms and constructions, to teach the reading of Latin sentences and passages of increasing difficulty and to teach the writing of Latin sentences.
- Assignment 1 — Prose Compositions (20%)
- Assignment 2 — Document analysis (15%)
- Online Exam (40%)
- Participation (10%)
- Test — Grammar Quizzes (15%)
Textbook information is pending.