Language and Literacy in Early Childhood
Inquire what language is and how it develops in early childhood from 0-8 years. Understand the relationship between oral language, adult-child interaction, and formulate pedagogical strategies for children from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Use appropriate metalanguage when analysing language structure and function
- Apply knowledge of the relationship between oral language, adult-child interaction and literacy development.
- Critically evaluate early childhood settings in terms of language and literacy development
- Employ and develop pedagogical strategies for promoting language and literacy development.
- Use peer reviewed research to justify decision making.
- Use academic language appropriately to express ideas and arguments .
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Pre-requisite Admission to MTeach(0-5) and ECHX600 or ECEX600 or ECHX6000 NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED823, ECED880, ECEX823, ECHX823 NCCW ECHE8230 Language and Literacy in Early Childhood
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX823 Language and Literacy in Early Childhood.
This subject will explore what language is and how it develops in early childhood from birth to eight years of age. The relationship between language, learning and culture will be investigated. Students will consider different definitions of literacy and examine how oral language in the early years of life relates to subsequent knowledge of written, visual and aural texts. Issues to be addressed include how to create a language and literacy rich environment and the central role of adults in supporting children's language and literacy development in a range of contexts.
- Shared reading (35%)
- Fostering infant-toddler lanague and literacy in ECEC settings (35%)
- Literature Review (30%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.