Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
Immerse yourself in current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy. Critique relevant literature, analyse alternative perspectives and establish your personal position regarding emerging trends in this area.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- refine their professional understandings and skills in early childhood pedagogy and policy
- examine current issues impacting on policy and pedagogy in the early childhood sector and analyse alternative perspectives
- critique relevant literature
- establish a personal position regarding emerging trends in the early childhood arena.
- Introduction to the unit
- Understanding early childhood policy and politics - a conceptual overview
- Early childhood policy - global contexts
- Understanding early childhood pedagogy
- Reconsidering the concept of developmentally appropriate practice
- Early childhood policy - national contexts
- Assessment and effective pedagogy
- Early childhood policy - local contexts
- Diversity and social justice in early childhood settings
- Children's voices in early childhood policy
- Critiquing the experience of Reggio Emilia
- Presentations & implications
- Reflections on learning
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX843-International Policing and Counter Terrorism
- MAQ-ECHX822-Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Admission to MTeach (Birth to Five Years) - This unit is best completed towards the end of this course.
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX822 Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
This subject explores current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy in early childhood education. Students will explore a range of responses to state, national and international influences on the provision of nurturant educational services in the early childhood years. We will consider diverse approaches to teaching practice as well as policy development in the delivery of various services used by young children and their families. This will include the investigation of approaches to reconceptualising early childhood pedagogy as well as the achievements of major government initiatives directed at early childhood education and care settings and the wellbeing of young children and their families.
- Assignment 1A (20%)
- Assignment 1B (20%)
- Assignment 2 (40%)
- Assignment 1C (20%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.