- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as PICX110 Contemporary Security Challenges.
This subject introduces students to security studies and contemporary security challenges. Using real-world examples, it provides students with the theoretical and conceptual knowledge to analyse security, instability and armed conflict in the modern international system. It addresses the role of the international system, states and leaders in complex conflict scenarios and teaches students to critically assess the relative importance of each. The subject covers a variety of pressing security issues, including interstate and intrastate war, coercive use of military power, alliances, nuclear weapons, humanitarian intervention, terrorism and counterinsurgency. It also examines how these threats and challenges can be managed. The subject provides an introduction to the field of security studies.
- Assignment 1 - Assessment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Assessment 2 (10%)
- Assignment 3 - Assessment 3 (40%)
- Assignment 4 - Assessment 4 (30%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject