Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Introduction to Psychology II
Delve deeper into your study of psychology. Get a sense of areas of psychology including developmental psychology, organisational psychology, and health psychology. Form your foundations in psychology statistics. Report on your research.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Times Higher Education Ranking
At the completion of this subject, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of a range key concepts in psychology
2. Develop critical thinking and research skills
3. Demonstrate effective and appropriate use of information technology, such as library database searching
4. Critically analyse key relevant concepts in psychology
5. Show an awareness of the range of ethical issues in psychology
6. Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills through practical assignments and peer interaction
- Unit Introduction
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Organisational Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Introduction to statistics in Psychology
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
Please note: Enrolment into this unit is capped and limited places are available.
This unit continues with the introduction to core areas of psychology commenced in PSYX1104, Introduction to Psychology I. This unit introduces the areas of health psychology, social psychology, developmental psychology, organisational psychology, perception, and cognition. This unit also introduces basic statistics, following on from the research methods lectures in PSYX1104. Importantly, this unit also provides first-hand experience with conducting and reporting on a research project. Students will report on this research project following guidelines presented by the American Psychological Association.
- Research - 1500 words (30%)
- Group - 10 minute oral presentation (5%)
- Research - 4 hours (5%)
- Tutorial Reflection Task - Weekly short written reflection (5%)
- Statistics - Weekly online quizzes (10%)
- Invigilated Exam - Multiple choice questions (45%)
Textbook information is pending.