International Security in the 20th Century
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful competion of this subject , you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the origins, course, and consequences of major twentieth century wars and conflicts
- Demonstrate knowledge of how and why key ideas and institutions of international security changed across the twentieth century
- Analyse and evaluate competing historical interpretations of important aspects of international security in the twentieth century
- Identify and restate the argument of a piece of writing, develop a convincing argument in their own writing, and effectively support that argument using appropriate sources
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject provides an introduction to key events, processes, and concepts in the international history of war, peace, and security in the twentieth century. Students will investigate the causes, conduct, and consequences of particular international conflicts, such as the world wars and the Cold War. They will also examine the evolution of ideas and institutions that provided - and in many cases still provide - the political architecture for international and national security. In covering this material, the subject will encourage students to develop their analytical thinking and writing skills.
- Essay 1 (30%)
- Essay 2 (30%)
- Active Engagement (10%)
- Premininary test (10%)
- Final Test (20%)
Current study term: 24 Jul 22 to 06 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.