An advanced exploration of the analytical tools and methodologies used by intelligence professionals. Design and build intelligence analytical products to give a real-world focus to your study, including foresight and scenario planning.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- identify the reasoning and cognitive processes involved in transforming incomplete information into intelligence knowledge
- analyse individual and group dynamics in organisational settings
- Create intelligence products using a range of intelligence analytical tools and approaches, while applying academic research and writing skills.
- evaluate a diverse and evolving body of academic literature on intelligence analysis
- Assess the professional, legal and ethical obligations of the intelligence profession.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX844-Intelligence Analysis (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) PICT844, PICX844 Pre-requisite Admission to MPICT or MCPICT or GradDipPICT or GradDipCPICT or PGCertPICT or GradCertPICT or GradCertCPICT or MPICTMIntSecSt or MCPICTMIntSecSt or MIntSecStud or GradDipIntSecStud or GradCertIntell or MIntell or MCyberSec or MSecStrategicStudMIntell or MIntellMCrim or MIntellMCyberSec or MIntellMCTerrorism or MSecStrategicStudMCyberSec or MCyberSecMCTerrorism or MCyberSecMCrim
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as PICX844 Intelligence Analysis
This subject provides students with a deeper appreciation of the complexities of advanced intelligence analysis and exposure to the analytical tools and methodologies that will help them better understand and potentially contribute as intelligence professionals. In a globalised and dynamic security environment, students will be challenged to consider newer asymmetric threats and risks, as well as more traditional military and security challenges in an analytical context. Students will apply what they have learned to conceptualise, design, and build intelligence analytical products, providing real-world focus and experience and will also consider "futures" (foresight and scenario planning) in intelligence.
- Advanced analysis paper (30%)
- Analytical case study critique (25%)
- Constructive Engagement (5%)
- Weekly engagement quiz (20%)
- Advanced analysis brief (20%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).