Ethical Practice in Security Studies
Canvas the major ethical, moral and legal paradigms of thought within security studies. Evaluate the ethics of the recourse to war, humanitarian intervention, wartime conduct, interrogation and torture, weapons, intelligence and surveillance
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
By the end of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major ethical, moral, and legal paradigms of thought within the field of Security Studies, and apply that knowledge in a considered and appropriate manner to challenging questions of security policy and practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the appropriate ethical and professional standards expected of those working in the security sector, and apply that knowledge in a considered and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the theory of teamwork and project management, and apply that knowledge in a considered and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of career development and job application strategies, and apply that knowledge in a considered and appropriate manner during the degree of their reflective exercises.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You should have completed 12 subjects including (6 PICX subjects including PICX310). This subject can be taken as an alternate to PICX312 Dynamic Simulation and Strategic Planning (Capstone).
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
The subject was previously known as PICX320 Ethics and Security.
PICX3020 is designed to give students the opportunity to apply the insights they have developed over the course of their program to a practical problem in their field. Teams of students will work on projects set by, or in consultation with, partner organisations drawn from government, industry, and civil society. Alongside their project work, students will undertake some complementary career development exercises and consider what it means to think and act ethically in their chosen careers. After enrolling in PICX3020, students should request a survey form by emailing email@example.com. The survey will be used to assign students to appropriate projects and teams.
- Assessment 1 (10%)
- Assessment 2 (10%)
- Assessment 3 (60%)
- Assessment 4 (20%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.