Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy
An introduction to the philosophical approaches to early childhood education. Appreciate the centrality of play, social interaction and relationships as a basis for curriculum. Take part in 8 half-day field visits to an early childhood setting.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will have:
- an awareness of current approaches to, and debates about early childhood curriculum and pedagogy.
- the ability to observe, document and interpret children's play/inquiry experiences in terms of what they reveal about, and their potential for facilitating children's learning and development.
- an ability to generate appropriate play and inquiry experiences for young children based on observations and interpretations of children’s play and inquiry
a theoretical and self-reflective understanding of intentional teaching strategies
- an active contribution towards their own and others’ development and learning.
- Welcome and Introduction
- EC Philosophy & pedagogy 1 -3
- Pedagogy in practice 1 -6
- Pedagogy within community contexts
- Reflection & evaluation
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Admission to Master of Teaching (Birth to Five Years)
- OtherDetails -
- EBook 1-Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. (2013). The language of three things: Lids, gumnuts and cups. Sydney: Macquarie University. EBook 2 - Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. (2014).A glimpse into an early childhood learning environment: Mia Mia. Sydney: Macquarie University. Ebooks can be purchased from Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. Complete order form located on http://www.iec.mq.edu.au/research/mia_mia/publications_and_resources/ and email: firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.
- Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX600 Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy.
This subject introduces students to the philosophical and pedagogical approaches in the field of early childhood education. The subject provides students with the opportunity to develop a critical understanding of: i) current philosophical and theoretical approaches to early childhood education; ii) the centrality of play, social interaction and relationships as a basis for early childhood curriculum; and iii) their own identity as early childhood educators. Overall, it aims to provide students with a crucial framework for developing professional teaching practice and for their future studies in early childhood.
- assignment 1 (30%)
- assignment 2 (30%)
- assignment 3 (40%)